Parent mentors in Region 14 provide the necessary support and resources to families of children with disabilities and the professionals who serve them.
The parent mentor program is based on the assumption that students with disabilities will be assured an appropriate and meaningful education if parents and educators can communicate effectively and implement the partnerships required by IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act).
Parent mentors have children with special needs and can assist in the following:
- Guide families through the special education process, including rights and responsibilities;
- Listen and provide support to families and educators on an individual basis;
- Provide information and resources to families and school personnel on laws, district programs, services, and community resources;
- Attend Individual Education Program (IEP) meetings and other meetings at parent or staff request;
- Organize and conduct information sessions or workshops based on the needs of families and professionals; and,
- Build collaborative partnerships between families, schools, and communities to benefit students with disabilities.
Phone: 937-393-1904, ext. 2127